The digital section of my Bright Light Controller is fully functional and I’ve gone ahead and made a library to help interface with the MSGEQ7 IC. As of Version 0.1 the library will probably only function on a 16MHz or slower Arduino. This shouldn’t be too difficult to modify, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. A video demonstration of the library performing a “readAll” is provided below.
If you’re having problems with dllhost.exe consuming a lot of resources, along with problems viewing folders in windows explorer it may not be caused by malware. The quick explanation is that it could be related to a corrupt media file, with a decent probability that file is on your Desktop. The screenshot below shows some of the problems I was having with windows explorer; thumbnails wouldn’t show up and the sidebar wouldn’t populate.
I’ve finally gotten around to assembling my first prototype. I’ve had the board and components in my hands for a couple weeks, but have been kept pretty busy with schoolwork and senior design. This post documents the process I took bringing up the board.
Step 1: Purchase a new Atmega. This is the version of the chip from digikey Atmega328P
Step 2: Carefully desolder the old processor. I found that is very easy to lift the pads in this process. If I were to try it again I’d probably try using a heat-gun.
Step 3: Solder the new proccessor onto the board. Pretty straight forward, assuming the board was not damaged.
Step 4: Program the Arduino bootloader. This can be done using another Arduino board, or a dedicated programmer. I used my USBTinyISP for the first time and it works great. It interfaces directly with the Arduino IDE and is a lot more convenient than having to wire up a spare Arduino every time.
I’ve completed the layout of my previously designed schematic. I’ve over-sized the board by a good bit so I can get a feel for the component sizes and the ease of soldering them to the board. Below is a 3D Rendering of what the completed board should look like.