«

»

Apr 17

NES FPGA : Mini Breakthroughs

I’ve made significant progress since my first stumbling block.  I’ve rewritten my 6502 core so that it is synthesizable and have successfully deployed it to my nanoboard.  I have been able to tweak the data bus such that I can communicate with the internal cartridge, my PPU, and the external SRAM available on the nanoboard.  This has been pretty tricky since it has been taking over 10 minutes to synthesize and my logic analyzer only has 16 Channels.  I’ve found some methods to mitigate these issues and after uncovering a couple of fatal bugs in my PPU Core an image was finally rendered.  The rendered screen isn’t what is expected but it is generating tiles from the cartridge data. If you look closely you’ll be able to see some blurry 8’s, 4’s commas and colons.

IMG_20130416_013526

 

i

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>