There’s an amazing project known as Visual 6502. They have created a transistor level net-list of the 6502 processor which can in turn be converted into synthesizable VHDL. As nice as this is, I’ve decided that would be far too easy and am going to go ahead and emulate the 6502 core before I fool around with a proper simulation. I’ve already poured through the available documents and laid out a framework for my emulation. The capture below is the first result from that process. That is the emulator executing the opcode 0x01 (Inderect X indexed OR with the accumulator) The A register isn’t actually visable but the processor is successfully loading the data from my simulated ROM and jumping to the correct memory locations based on the code I’ve provided. There is still a long way to go before the process is complete, but it is well on its way.
The digital section of my Bright Light Controller is fully functional and I’ve gone ahead and made a library to help interface with the MSGEQ7 IC. As of Version 0.1 the library will probably only function on a 16MHz or slower Arduino. This shouldn’t be too difficult to modify, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. A video demonstration of the library performing a “readAll” is provided below.
If you’re having problems with dllhost.exe consuming a lot of resources, along with problems viewing folders in windows explorer it may not be caused by malware. The quick explanation is that it could be related to a corrupt media file, with a decent probability that file is on your Desktop. The screenshot below shows some of the problems I was having with windows explorer; thumbnails wouldn’t show up and the sidebar wouldn’t populate.
I’ve finally gotten around to assembling my first prototype. I’ve had the board and components in my hands for a couple weeks, but have been kept pretty busy with schoolwork and senior design. This post documents the process I took bringing up the board.